Turbo Monkey Tales is a group blog focusing on the craft, production, marketing and consumption of Children's Literature. We are illustrators, writers, animators and media mongrels. We are readers! We are published, unpublished and self-published; agented and searching, and 100% dedicated to our Kid Lit journey, no matter where we are on the path. Join our Tribe and grab a vine. The more the merrier!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Not-Writing


School has just started here in Virginia, and like many teachers, I’ve been asking my students what they did this summer. So it seemed appropriate to write about my summer, and how I learned the value of Not-Writing.

My summer has been framed by two Highlights workshops with the fabulous Patti Gauch: one in May, the other this October. Between May and October, I was supposed to write the entire first draft of a new story. 

No worries, right? 

I'm a huge proponent of the Butt in Chair school of writing: You write whether you feel like it or not. You hope the muse shows up, but if she doesn't, you don't sit at your desk, weeping softly and consuming large amounts of ice cream. You write. Finally, the muse feels so left out that she actually shows up. 

Imagine my surprise when I discovered how well I wrote when… I didn’t write. Here's what happened:



I was anxious to start- and just plain anxious. Like Winnie the Pooh, I thought, thought, thought about my story, a retelling of The Brave Little Tailor. I found a lovely plotting guide on Tess Hilmo's blog that forced me to ask the big questions about my WIP. For me, those were about reversals: what goes wrong and why?

In late March, I sat outside at a cafĂ©, sipped a drink, and stared at the Blue Ridge Mountains. I worked through the plot guide, scribbling questions and what-ifs. I kept at it the next few weeks. I thought about my WIP as I drove to work. I played with different characters. I even looked organized, pulling out that dogeared paper and jotting down new notes. (My organized self has since lost that paper.)

Little by little, pieces of the story came together. After about two weeks, several scenes were so vivid that I had to write them; they just wouldn’t leave me alone. By the time I attended the May workshop, I knew the major points of the whole story.

I loved Not-Writing. 

It worked so well that I used it all summer. Before I wrote a new scene, I'd jot down notes: snatches of dialog, highlights, images I could already see. After 5-10 minutes, I had the bones of the scene down. I could hear conversations. I could see my story's landscape. 

Here was the awesome part: I could tell right away whether that section was going to bore me. You know that awful feeling when you've written 1,500 words and you don't care anymore? And then you have to figure out why? 

Those few minutes of Not-Writing prevented most of that. If my notes bored me, I'd play with them till they didn't. Even if it took a while. It wasn't outlining. There were no bullet points, no Roman numerals. Not-Writing used the fuel that works best for me: questions. 

I really hate it when folks talk about Process-with-a-capital-P, because it sounds pretentious (with a capital P). It makes it sound like there’s a magic bullet, like you don't have to Butt in Chair your way through a manuscript. 

Yet the flip side of writing is that we figure out what works for us. We discover those rituals that allow us to get words on the page with courage and strength. We find methods that prevent us from giving our WIP a title like, I'm Really, Really Sorry I Couldn't Write a Better Book.

Not-Writing is what worked for me. I wrote a 79,000 word manuscript and mailed it to Patti two weeks ago. I survived. Even my one remaining houseplant survived. 

Was my story pretty? No. Did I have a small breakdown while driving it to the Post Office? Oh, yes. 

But I didn’t write, "I'm Sorry" on the first page. So it was a victory.

I'd love to hear from you. What do you do to get that first draft down? What rituals or methods keep you sane?

16 comments:

  1. Sarah, you've gotten me so inspired. I love the idea of taking a deep breath, stepping back, and not-writing. We can put so much pressure on ourselves to produce that it can stifle our creativity. Thank you for showing us this way to let the creative side loose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, you're right! Most of us would never dream of pressuring others the way we do ourselves.

      Delete
  2. Sarah I can't comment about what keeps me sane...only because i don't think I've arrived there yet. Lovely post and wonderful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're close enough, Craig. Complete sanity is overrated. : )

      Delete
  3. I appreciated this so much. Just shared it with our Children's Book Hub Facebook Group!

    I use a variation on Not-Writing, I suppose. I like to work things out in my head, at least partially, before starting to put them on paper (or should I say, on screen). I try wordings, bits of dialogue, find out where a possible plot point might take me, while I'm just doing the ordinary things of life, and then when there's something to build on, I write. That process can be a daily thing -- writing a chapter, pondering the next bit, writing another chapter... I tend to call it the Think System (shades of The Music Man there.) It's what works for me. I don't know that it keeps me sane, however. That's a different issue altogether. It does keep me writing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Music Man's Think System ... I love it, Beth! It allows us to pursue our story in the middle of ordinary days.

      Delete
  4. I never thought about it before, but I do a lot of not-writing. I mean, other than the working/cleaning/reading/beingamom type of not-writing. I often take a big step back (especially when I'm muddling through the middle) to double check my outline, my scene cards and my plot points to make sure I'm still on schedule and that things are holding together. I love not-wrtiting, I've just never thought about it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds much better when we name that process, doesn't it? (Love that you mention cleaning. I wonder how many plots problems have been resolved while scrubbing something.)

      Delete
  5. My best "not-writing" is a road trip with good music. Wonderful post, Sarah. I feel and understand what you are saying because you've described me. (Maybe it's a teacher thing)I don't write everyday, but I "think" writing 24/7. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, you were the one who told me not to feel bad if I couldn't write every day- just to save it up for my writing time. : )

      Delete
  6. Okay, I'm sold! I need to schedule more Not-Writing time!
    I'm so impressed with what you were able to accomplish, Sarah. Thanks for sharing your Not-Writing success story :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! I think I had an easier time of it than most. Not too many folks have the entire summer free. : )

      Delete
  7. I do the same thing, only with about six different notebooks and a diary! It's so much fun, and I was just sharing with Kristen that occasionally I'll have to write in the notes, "I am a genius!" when I think I've come up with something especially brilliant. (Of course, time and thought may reveal it wasn't brilliant at all....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! I'm learning to celebrate the good moments in writing- those milestones or sections that I'm proud of. It gives me strength to dig further into my story.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, not writing works. I decide I will not write but go to the beach, a 15 minute walk from my house. As I walk to the beach, ideas jump out in my head. I get to the beach and more ideas pop up. By the time I walk home I have an entire chapter in my head. That evening I type it up and, it's pretty good. Much better than if I had sat in front of the computer all afternoon (wishing I was at the beach) Thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right! Sometimes the good stuff comes when we step away for a while. I wish the beach was 15 minutes from my house! Though I do have the mountains...

      Delete