Turbo Monkey Tales is a group blog focusing on the craft, production, marketing and consumption of Children's Literature. We are illustrators, writers, animators and media mongrels. We are readers! We are published, unpublished and self-published; agented and searching, and 100% dedicated to our Kid Lit journey, no matter where we are on the path. Join our Tribe and grab a vine. The more the merrier!

Monday, August 19, 2013

Storytelling by Ellen



Have you ever stopped to think about story . . . and not what it means in literary terms like character, setting, theme, plot, climax and so forth?

We humans are wired for story. Kids, adults, it doesn’t matter, we all enjoy stories. As writers and illustrators, we know that creating stories and pictures is hard work. Our words and pictures must capture the reader. In this way, they will continue turning the pages.

Our job is to take life’s emotions, fear, worry, bravery, love, gut wrenching experiences and lesson learned, (not to mention building an imaginary place for our characters to deal with whatever we throw their way) and create a . . . story.            


Today, stories are told in books, movies and online. Our techniques are modern compared to the first stories that were painted on cave walls by early man. Those pictures told a story, too. People probably gathered around a campfire and listened to a clan member tell about a great hunt, a feat of bravery . . . or perhaps some poor guy’s disastrous attempt at killing a woolly mammoth.



Through time, a people’s oral traditions, their sagas and epic poems, their legends and myths, their folktales and fairy tales, were stories that found their way from storytelling into print.

My Opa gave me my love of story. He was an amazing storyteller. He grew up along the Hudson River in Highland Falls, New York, at the turn of the last century. As a child, I remember him telling me the stories his father had told him, my favorites being The Headless Horseman and Rip Van Winkle. It wasn’t only those stories I enjoyed, though.

When my brother and I visited my Grandparents, Opa told us Timmy stories. Timmy was a character Opa had created. We took turns requesting adventures for Timmy and Opa spun the story. For me, Timmy always had a horse, but never an ordinary one. Opa made Timmy’s horse magical, white and shimmery like stardust. It had wings and Timmy rode it on many adventures. Sadly, I don’t remember my brother’s Timmy stories, other than Timmy fought space aliens and piloted a spaceship.

I’m nearing the end of my historical/fantasy novel Justus. My Monkey buds have critiqued it. I’ve revised it and revised it and read the chapters out loud to get a feel for my words. Then I had an idea.

I’ll tell my story aloud like a storyteller, like Opa!

And do you know . . .  it’s hard! I stumbled over my words and had to concentrate. My character said OMG, an expression not even in the book. As I told my first chapter to my imaginary kids, I became aware of the importance of word choice and the power of descriptive words. The retelling helped me and I actually went back and changed a few things. Of course, it would have been nicer to tell my first chapter to real kids instead of imaginary ones, but hey, it was an experiment I’m glad I did.

The next time you finish a story, try retelling it as a storyteller. I think you’ll enjoy it, and be pleased, too!               

4 comments:

  1. satta king

    satta king
    Sometimes people try to prioritize your time by giving you things to do while you are engaged in another task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. play bazaar
    satta king
    play bazaar The first is how much of any sale gets kicked back monthly to distributors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the off chance that questioning a record with the credit office doesn't create results, contest it with the genuine bank. Send them a letter through the mail prompting them that you don't accept that the obligation is yours and solicitation that they give you composed confirmation of the obligation. In the event that the record is more seasoned, odds are they won't have the records. In the event that they can't demonstrate the obligation they should expel it from your credit report. Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the event that you are in a territory that has a low sign, you should kill your telephone. Leaving it on will just end with you having a dead battery. You ought to likewise give keeping your telephone a shot in the open more since the sign is somewhat more fragile in satchels, drawers and other shut spots. satta king
    play bazaar
    satta matka

    ReplyDelete